Monday, November 17, 2008

UNC Women's Soccer rolls through NCAA tournament




This weekend the UNC women's soccer team advanced to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament with wins against Western Carolina and UNC-Charlotte. The combined score of the two games was 9-0 in favor of North Carolina, which only scraps the surface of its dominantion this weeked. The Tar Heels, who earned a No. 1 seed in the tournament, face off next against Illinois on Saturday, November 22 at 5:30 at Fetzer Field (which is in Chapel Hill, NC).

I mention this because I'm a beat writer for the team this season. I work for the Daily Tar Heel, the school newspaper for the University of North Carolina (Chapel Hill). I'll expand a little bit more about some of the perks (and drawbacks) of my job in a later posting.

It's been fun getting to know the UNC players this season and watching them gel together on the field, but it's a little odd to not be able to cheer them on. There is "no cheering in the press box," and I am supposed to remain objective at all times when covering the team. I'm never supposed to pull for any team against another, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't rooting for UNC to earn a trip to the College Cup, the final four of soccer (but maybe that's because I'd want the front page story that goes with it...). Realistically I'm always going to have a little bit of blue blood running through my veins, but I try not to let it show in my writing.

Anyways, here's a link to my article recapping Sunday's game against Charlotte. Enjoy, and let me know what you think if you'd like.

No comments: