Saturday, December 20, 2008

Gartrell Johnson = Hoss

What I learned from today's bowl games...




Never heard of Gartrell Johnson? Neither had I...until today. This stud of a running back for Colorado State not only single-handedly beat Fresno State and ruined my perfect record in predicting bowl games (I was on an impressive one-game streak), he also posted one of the most impressive stat lines I've ever seen by a running back.

For the game:
27 carries, 285 yards on the ground
5 receptions, 90 yards receiving
2 TD's rushing, including a 77-yarder to seal the game

That adds up to just your average 49-point fantasy day for your fantasy footballers out there...and the pros need to at least take a second look at this guy.

The knock on him from pro scouts is that he's not fast enough to make it in the NFL...really? If Lendale White (aka "Smash the Slow" in the Tennessee Titans' 'Smash and Dash' attack) can make a serious contribution to a pro team...Gartrell certainly will. If I were a GM and this guy slipped into the sixth or seventh round...I'd grab him in a heartbreak.

I know the competition today was a poor Fresno State defense...but the way he was bowling over the Bulldogs' linebackers and tearing through the secondary screamed pro potential. Just because he won't run a 4.4 at the combine doesn't mean he can't be productive. I would love for him to be a goal-line back/bruiser type who takes care of the ball (relevant note: he hasn't fumbled since September of 2005) for my team, and he'd be great at wearing down defenses. Fresno State defenders were literally pulling up a bit before trying to tackle him because, like Eddie George, he delivers the blow rather than takes it. He averaged nearly 100 yards per game this season, what's not to like?

Even if he only made it to third string on your favorite team...how sweet would it be to have a guy named 'Gartrell' to bring in for mop-up duty against the Lions?

No comments: